You are a clown fired out of a cannon. You tumble through the air end over end beneath a giant big top tent. Other clowns, also fired from cannons, are your friends. You keep each other company and practice aerial tricks together. The flying is exhilarating: everything goes by so fast. Occasionally in a moment of distraction you might wonder where is this tent, who are the people in the bleachers, or even what is a clown? You don’t dwell on these questions though, because they’re not that interesting and you wouldn’t know how to go about answering them anyway.
—Where’s the net to catch us at the end?
—There is no net. At the end you die.
- Belonging to the emperor
- Embalmed ones
- Fabulous ones
- Included in this classification
- Innumerable ones
- Stray dogs
- Suckling pigs
- Those drawn with a very fine camel’s-hair brush
- Those that are trained
- Those that at a distance resemble flies
- Those that have just broken the flower vase
- Those that tremble as if they were mad